[Zope3-Users] Eggs and classic instance homes, again... (was Re: Eggs, workingenv.py, and 'classic' instance homes)

Darryl Cousins darryl at darrylcousins.net.nz
Wed Nov 7 21:53:55 EST 2007

Hi Jeff,

I hope that this might at least give you the optimism you appear to be
lacking.

I've been migrating a complex project which was running on Zope-3.2
tarball install.

My first step was to get it all into a buildout. buildout.cfg looked
something like this [1]. I've missed out lots here (postgresql, lxml,
sqlos, sqlobject, psycopg2, pyro, zif.jsonserver amongst others). Note
that I have included a local install of python in parts to keep things
clean and tidy.

Second step was to upgrade to Zope-3.3 - this just meant changing the
url in the zope3 section. An hour or two of fixing deprecation warnings
(really only deprecation stuff, nothing major).

Step Three, where I'm at now, is to change the buildout to use Zope-3.4
eggs, and Paste. Zopeproject buildout.cfg and other files could provide
you a starting point. I'm using
http://grok.zope.org/releaseinfo/grok-0.10.2.cfg to pin down versions.
See http://grok.zope.org/releaseinfo/readme.html for info on using this
file.

I haven't got the server running yet, but then I've only just finished
getting buildout.cfg right, and all parts built.

In all there has been several hours work so far, but that includes
sorting out the additional dependencies (postgresql etc). Before the
buildout the whole application was a nightmare to install. Now its
looking sooo much better.

I would skip step two if I did this again, although I imagine there will
be a lot more import and deprecation errors to correct.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Darryl

[1] buildout.cfg

[buildout]
index = http://download.zope.org/ppix
develop = .
parts = zope3
	server
        instance
        database
        test
        projectpackage # the application code
find-links = http://download.zope.org/distribution/
download-cache = cache
eggs-directory = eggs # keeping this install fully separate from others
develop-eggs-directory = develop-eggs

[zope3]
recipe = zc.recipe.cmmi
url = http://www.zope.org/Products/Zope3/3.2.0/Zope-3.2.0.tgz
extra_options = --with-python=${python:location}/bin/python
                --force

[server]
recipe = zc.recipe.egg
eggs = ${projectpackage:eggs}

[instance]
recipe = zc.zope3recipes:instance
application = projectpackage
zope.conf = ${database:zconfig}

[database]
recipe = zc.recipe.filestorage

[test]
recipe = zc.recipe.testrunner
eggs = ${projectpackage:eggs}
extra-paths = ${zope3:location}/lib/python
working-directory = ${buildout:directory}/test
defaults = ['--tests-pattern', '^f?tests$',
	'-v'
	]

[projectpackage]
recipe = zc.zope3recipes:app
eggs = ${interpreter:eggs}
site.zcml = <include package="projectpacakge" /> # all zcml defined here

[python]
recipe = zc.recipe.cmmi
url = http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.4.4/Python-2.4.4.tar.bz2
executable = ${buildout:parts-directory}/python/bin/python
extra_options = --with-threads
                --with-readline
                --enable-unicode=ucs2

[interpreter]
recipe = zc.recipe.egg
eggs = setuptools
       # list-of-eggs: lxml, sqlos etc, etc
interpreter = python
extra-paths = ${buildout:parts-directory}/zope3/lib/python