[Zope3-Users] Re: KGS Site Updated

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Mon Nov 19 09:54:20 EST 2007

Stephan Richter wrote:
> On Sunday 18 November 2007, Chris McDonough wrote:
>>> 4. A new "minimal/" folder now contains an index just of the
>>> controlled
>>> packages. This minimal index can be used by compoze as one
>>> contributing
>>> index. (I have not tested this yet, can anyone try this and report
>>> how it can
>>> be done?)
>> Very cool, thank you!  I'll try this.
>
> Great. I would love to get a little write-up on how to use it, so I can put it
> on the intro page.
>
>> Note that if the KGS really wants to be a KGS (literally "known good",
>> it's a matter of semantics, not of technology):
>
> I agree.
>
>> - An invariant must be met that only one version of each package
>> should be present in the index.
>
> I disagree. This is not what this means to me. I think a KGS can receive bug
> fix releases, which the Zope 3.4 KGS does. However, no new feature releases
> are allowed.
>
>> - The set is frozen (no packages will be added to or removed from or
>> changed).
>
> Yep, I agree. No packages will be added or removed for the Zope 3.4 version of
> the KGS. I will soon add a new Zope-Dev KGS, which is open to new feature
> releases.
>
>> The first is true for what we have now neither of the "minimal" set or
>> the set you're calling the "KGS".
>
> Right. Note that versions-*.cfg and links-*cfg are frozen. I am probably going
> to freeze minimal/ as have minimal-*/ too.
>
>> The second I'm pretty sure is not
>> true of the thing you're calling the KGS (it still mirrors the
>> cheeseshop regularly), I'm not sure about the intent for the "minimal"
>> set.
>
> Well, this is a limitation of the current setuptools system.

It's a limitation of buildout, perhaps.  It is possible to use
setuptools with multiple indexes:  'compoze' allows spelling multiple
'-index-url' items on the command line.  E.g.::

  $ bin/compoze fetch --index-url=http://download.zope.org/zope3.4 \
                      --index-url=http://dist.repoze.org/simple \
                      zope.interface

With 'easy_install', you can only specify one '--index-url' per command,
but you can change it each time you run 'easy_install.

> In buildout I can
> only specify one index, since setuptools can have only one index.

Not so.  You can use multiple PackageIndex objects within a
setuptools-enabled program.

> So it is
> necessary that I make all packages available in that index and this is what I
> produce as download.zope.org/zope3.4. But I have explained this multiple
> times before, so I am not going to repeat the argument any more. Please try
> buildout and see for yourself.

Tres.
- --
Tres Seaver          +1 540-429-0999          tseaver at palladion.com