[Zope3-Users] Re: zalchemy - default engine?

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Apr 8 17:43:26 EDT 2008

Hey,.

[included: Christian Theune (z3c.sqlalchemy), cc-ed to Andreas Jung
(z3c.sqlalchemy), Laurence Row (collective.lead)]

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 11:33 PM, Christian Theune <ct at gocept.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 05:22:31PM -0400, Brandon Craig Rhodes wrote:
[snip]
>  > I can't get the new "zalchemy" working even against SQLAlchemy
>  > trunk. :-) Might the dependency actually be against an un-merged
>  > branch of SQLAlchemy, rather than merely against an unreleased
>  > SQLAlchemy trunk?
>
>  That's probably right.

We should really straighten out this situation. I can only use a
branch of collective.lead with a recent sqlalchemy, the z3c.zalchemy
package is evidently broken entirely. I don't know the status of
z3c.sqlalchemy, though I know there's been some activity recently, so
perhaps that Just Works.

Wouldn't it be possible to factor at least some commonalities into a
base package that all share? And factor out things like container
classes from z3c.sqlalchemy? I know there's been plenty of
cross-fertilization between the packages, but can't we aim for
something better here? Do we really need three? Can't we work
together?

There must be a reason for this proliferation of integration layers.
People are dissatisfied for whatever reason with one, and create
another. I think it's high time for consolidation.

Regards,

Martijn