[Zope3-Users] Not shutting z3 program for maintenance

David Pratt fairwinds.dp at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 22:32:29 EDT 2008

If your talking about changes on the application level, if zodb is your
datastore, this would be appropriate. You can read more on zope wiki
about zeo to get help. Since you are concerned about shutting down a
single server I am assuming your setup is not large.

Large setups would most likely be load balanced across multiple
instances per server and over more than a single machine for
availability. This provides other possibilities that include diverting
requests from the application server you are maintaining such as
temporary changes on balancer or DNS (in case of round robin DNS setup)
for example. These days, it can also mean just firing up another server
with the improvements to take load and killing off the one that would
otherwise need maintenance.

If your talking about changes at database level, this depends on the
datastore, and technologies your are using for replication and backup.
Don't think this helps much since its pretty generic answer. You might
also find some reading in plone docs I believe about system maintenance
for zope - so this might be another place to look, or in a plone book
for that matter.

Regards,
David