[Zope3-Users] building zope 3 instances?

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Tue Aug 19 18:11:57 EDT 2008

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/zc.zope3recipes
>>
>> ?
>
> If you still want an instance, yes. I don't particularly like instances
> as we've had them with Zope 2 and Zope 3 (they don't quite work in a
> WSGI environment).

So what do you do instead?
How do people get a zope 3 project/application/whatever up and running?

>> If so, could the owners of these packages hide, remove or otherwise
>> document that they're out of date:
>>
>> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/zc.recipe.zope3checkout/1.2
>> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/zc.recipe.zope3instance/1.0.0a1
>> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/gocept.zope3instance/2.0a2
>
> Please don't remove things! Never ever. People might still be using them.

That is getting a bit old. The confusion from having this cruft lying
around (in the same way as accidentally released packages) is causing a
lot more hurt tham people who're already using this (and hence already
have a local copy of the egg, which they can keep using should no egg be
available on pypi) would experience if they went away.

Yes, ideally there should be some way to hide them on pypi such that
setuptools still finds them but that they don't strip up unsuspecting
users. Does pypi support this?

At the *very* least it's take about 2 minutes for a package manager to
put a large "DO NOT USE - THIS IS ONLY HERE TO SUPPORT EXISTING SETUPS"
at the top of the text on pypi to stop innocent bystanders getting
caught out.

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk