[Zope3-Users] Automatic schema field sanitation?

Dennis Noordsij dennis.noordsij at movial.fi
Tue Dec 2 08:36:34 EST 2008

Hi,

I would like to define a custom type inheriting from
zope.schema.TextLine, which in addition to having a built-in constraint
method also sanitizes the input.

For example suppose you need to store codes of the kind: 3 letters,
space, 3 numbers.

The constraint uses a regexp, and this works fine.

However it would be nice if I could also automatically capitalize the
letters, such that "abc 123" is stored as "ABC 123" which is the
presentation that should be used everywhere. Being able to do this
automatically, just like the validation, would completely remove the
need to remember to sanitize on input/output throughout the rest of the
system.

What would be the best way to implement this, ideally without needing to
modify any of the standard zope.interface/zope.schema code?

Thanks for any suggestions,
Cheers,
Dennis