[Zope3-Users] Zope 3 hosting provider

Paul Winkler slinkp at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 00:26:21 EST 2008

On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 10:53:15PM -0800, Douglas Cerna wrote:
> Hi everyone.
>
> I want to develop a website using Zope 3, but I need a
>  hosting provider that meets the "3" requirement. I've
> checked the Zope Solution Providers page at zope.org,
> but haven't find any provider using Zope 3 yet. Zope
> 2.9 is the closest I get.
>
> Could you recommend (if) any provider? I don't mind if
> it's in the US or Europe.

webfaction.com might be worth a look; they specialize in Python and
will let you install any long-running process. See
http://blog.webfaction.com/custom-application-faq

The limiting factor is likely to be RAM; their cheapest plans have
quite low limits on RAM and I think you get automatically restarted if
you go over.

In a quick test here, a fresh out-of-the-box zope 3.3.1 instance takes
about 59 MB resident memory just to start up, and quickly goes up to
75 MB if I start clicking around the ZMI and add a ZPT page.  You
didn't mention a budget, but if you're on a shoestring, you'll want to
keep that in mind and see how much memory your application takes in
real life (wget -r is a quick and dirty way to get an estimate for a
read-only site populated with a representative data set).

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com