[Zope3-Users] Re: z3ext

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Wed Feb 13 04:33:21 EST 2008

Nikolay Kim wrote:
> Martin,
>
>> This looks very complete and powerful, from a super quick glance.
>
> I can give you manager role on z3ext.net so you can look closely on
> management interface.

Cool! I signed up already.

>> I have a dream that the various Zope 2 + Zope 3 CMS efforts will get
>> better at sharing components. Did you use/look at any of the plone.*
>> components from Plone 3 (that work on Zope 3 also)?
> no. as i understand plone.* is UI related code for plone? i use
> completely different patterns for UI building.

Not really. plone.app.* is the namespace we use for things that are
Plone "application"/UI specific. Things that could be reusable outside
Plone (either on plain Zope 3, plain Zope 2 or CMF) should live in
plone.*. plone.locking, for example, depends only on the WebDAV
implementation (not sure if that's Zope 2 specific, though);
plone.portlets and plone.contentrules should work in plain Zope 3 (the
former has been used in Grok). I'm sure there are others too.

>> Do you think any
>> parts of z3ext are useful in other systems?
> yes, why not. for example z3ext.controlpanel powerful and easy to use configuration system
> same for almost all other packages.

Cool!

>>> z3ext.net is built with z3ext, you only need checkout z3ext.homesite package
>>>   svn co https://z3ext.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/z3ext/z3ext.homesite/trunk z3ext
>> I'm not entirely sure it's in everyone's interest to have something that
>> looks so very much like Plone's out of the box look and feel that is not
>> based on Plone at all (as I understand it) - least of all z3ext's, since
>> it may get confused with Plone.
> there was one reason, i'm not designer and plone looks very polished :)
> but in general i agree without about confusion. maybe somebody will help
> to make default skin not so plonish.

After my five-minute look at this system, I thought of this as "Plone
clone". If that's not how you want the system to be perceived, then
changing the skin would be a good start. The basic UI metaphors are
virtually all the same too.

The Plone Foundation *may* have a problem with something that's not
Plone looking and feeling so close to Plone, because of brand and
trademark protection. I would at least have a word with the PF board
before promotion this using Plone's look and feel to avoid any confusion
or confrontation later.

>> Is this just a theme for this one site, or is it the way that z3ext
>> looks without customisation?
> z3ext.net is default skin without customization
>
> recently i made http://www.alteringthefuture.com/ for my firend,
> actually he did this. this site created only with TTW customization.

Cool.

I'm actually quite interested in what techniques you are using for TTW
customisation. Can you explain the model here in more detail?

Martin