AW: AW: AW: [Zope3-Users] z3c.form - howto ignore the context for singlewidgets in an Edit form?

Roger Ineichen dev at projekt01.ch
Thu Feb 21 05:26:09 EST 2008

Hi Hermann

> Betreff: Re: AW: AW: [Zope3-Users] z3c.form - howto ignore
> the context for singlewidgets in an Edit form?
>
> Am Donnerstag, 21. Februar 2008 04:41 schrieb Stephan Richter:
> > On Monday 18 February 2008, Hermann Himmelbauer wrote:
> > > - Only widgets?
> > > - Combinations of schemas and widgets?
> > > - Also schemas without widgets (like an Email schema that
> inherits
> > > from a TextLine and thus uses a TextWidget)?
> >
> > These are good questions. We started already collecting the schema
> > fields in z3c.schema. So I think z3c.formwidget should only contain
> > the widgets and converters.
>
> Ah, ok, I was not aware of the z3c.schema package.
> Anyway, Roger suggested to solve this in another style by
> creating an egg for each schema and widget, e.g.
> z3c.schema.email, z3c.formwidget.email, z3c.schema.telephone,
> z3c.formwidget.telephone etc. He made some good points there,
> so I'm unsure which way to go?

Yeah, z3c.schema is a good place for additional zope.schema fields.

> I think this leads to an "eggsplosion", but Roger stated that
> this is exactly what the concept of eggs is all about.
> However, I'm still unsure that handling hundreds of eggs is
> really a viable way.

Having specific z3c.formwidget.* eggs is what I like to see.
I'm fine with collecting z3c.schema fields because such a
package is easy to explain and offers the base for different
widget implementations for one schema field.

in short;
If you like to see different widget implementations, e.g.
with/without JSON validation etc., offer the base (interface fields)
independent from the widget you will implement now.

> For instance, I use z3c.form from the SVN repository, this
> way I always have the newest release via a simple checkout.
> However, it was quite some work to checkout/configure all
> other packages z3c.form needs, such as z3c.pagelet,
> z3c.formui etc. etc. So, in case of an eggsplosion, where a
> package has e.g.
> 50 dependencies, using an SVN version is a mess, especially
> when a SVN version depends on code available only in the SVN
> and not as Egg. Are such cases all really thought out?

Hehe, the egg concept is a pain if it comes to framework
development where you like to develope a large amount of
components at once because you take care on independet reusable
components. But that's no reason to fall back to the old
monolitic large package development style.

Just a hint,
link the dev module packages (z3c.mymodule/trunk/src/z3c/mymodule)
into the src folder, then you don't need any develope external.
This module is just there because the modules in the src folder
are known by the python path.

I allways start with packages in the src folder of an egg
and move them later to it's own package and use them as
develope externals included by the buildout.cfg

Regards
Roger Ineichen