[Zope3-Users] Copy / Move ZODB Content From "Dev" Zope3 Instance to "Production" Zope3 Instance?

Brian Sutherland jinty at web.de
Mon Jan 21 07:26:39 EST 2008

On Sat, Jan 19, 2008 at 11:30:53AM -0500, Jeremy Roberts wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm curious if there is a handy way to copy / move content objects between
> Zope3 instances? (where the interface definitions for those object types
> agree across instances of course!)
>
> Let's say I have one Zope3 instance used for development, and another for
> production for any particular project. Each use local ZODB Data.fs files
> for persistence.

We do something similar but with our Zope2 instances. With Zope3 we
don't have a ZODB and do all distribution using Debian packages.

Our Zope2 situation is:

    * Data in an RDB (Postgres)
    * Code in the ZODB (but no data)
    * Code on the filesystem (under a RCS)
    * One prototyping setup
    * One development setup
    * Multiple identical live servers

The general workflow is:

    * Develop something on prototype till we are ready for it to go
      live.
    * Move it manually to devel
    * test test test
    * Copy the entire Data.fs to all the live servers and sync the
      filesystem

It's a pretty blunt hammer, you can't choose to only migrate parts of
the development server. But it's simple and been working pretty well at
a few sites for a while now.

--
Brian Sutherland