[Zope3-Users] z3c-form meta.zcml error

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Wed Jan 23 12:11:50 EST 2008

On 23 Jan 2008, at 14:22 , Martijn Pieters wrote:
> On Jan 23, 2008 2:04 PM, Roger Ineichen <dev at projekt01.ch> wrote:
>>> No, I see the exact same thing on Mac and Linux; you need to
>>> explicitly include .zcml and .txt files in MANIFEST.in; that
>>> file doesn't exist; just create one next to setup.py, and
>>> include 2 lines:
>>>
>>>  global-include *.txt
>>>  global-include *.zcml
>>>
>>> This'll include *all* text and zcml files recursively found
>>> from that directory.
>>
>> Are you really sure? that's new to me and that isn't documented
>> here:
>> http://svn.zope.org/*checkout*/Sandbox/philikon/foundation/releasing-softwar
>> e.txt
>
> Nope, it's a distutils feature: http://docs.python.org/dist/manifest.html

Yes, MANIFEST.in is a distutils feature. It's also described in my
book, by the way.

However, setuptools makes the usage of MANIFEST.in unnecessary when
you're operating within a subversion checkout. In such a case, an egg
will contain all files managed by subversion. Therefore, you should
always create eggs from svn checkouts, never from svn exports.
setuptools is smart enough to ignore '.svn' etc. The releasing-
software.txt document outslines the correct procedure here, I think.

I distinctly remember there being a Windows-related bug in setuptools,
but IIRC, it was about line endings in one of the EGG-INFO files
within ZIP files, or something like that. That one was fixed a while
ago. Not sure whether it made it to an actual setuptools release,
though.

Btw, Windows users can generate standard tarballs using the --formats
switch:

   python setup.py sdist --formats=gztar

(see python setup.py sdist  --help-formats). Since the code was
checked on Windows, the source code and text files will have Windows
line endings, though... :/