[Zope3-Users] Re: how to eggify a zopeproject?

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Jan 25 11:38:15 EST 2008

A passing comment:

- Eggs are great for distributing libraries.

- They aren't ideal for distributing applications, which are often
composed of many libraries, in the form is eggs.

zc.buildout is a tool for assembling libraries and other parts to
create working applications. (Of course, it is not the only tool.)

The zc.sourcerelease package provides a simple script that leverages
buildout to help create self-contained source releases from working
buildouts.  This is the tool that I use to distribute applications.

Jim

On Jan 25, 2008, at 11:25 AM, Nando Quintana wrote:

> Raphael,
>
>> Either include a MANIFEST file or make the egg from a subversion/cvs
>> checkout. The former tells explicitly what to include the latter
>> implicitly (everything that's under version control basically).
>
> This means calling zopeproject with "--svn-repository" ...?
> Ok, I'll try it.
>
>> I'd suggest to look at buildout if you want to support
>> such things as well.
>
> So, buildout is the correct approach to deploy an egg as a zope app?
> Ok.
>
> thanks,
> Nando.
>
> --