[Zope3-Users] Re: [Zope-dev] Zope 3 on Jython - Google Summer of Code

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Mar 28 10:06:27 EDT 2008

On Mar 27, 2008, at 11:51 PM, Georgy Berdyshev wrote:

> Hello Zope developers and Zope community!
>
> I am applying with "Zope 3 on Jython improvements" to Google Summer
> of Code.

Yay!

> It would be really a great help to receive some feedback on this
> undertaking from
> the community and also developers of Zope!

Then this is a good place to post. :)  Although I suggest limiting the
discussion to zope-dev.

> Please have a look at the following thread on the Zope GSoC
> malinglist:
> http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/gsoc/2008-March/000136.html

There aren't many details there, so it's hard to comment.

Some high-level comments:

- I suggest making porting C speed-ups a very low (non-existent)
priority.

- I expect security proxies to be one of the greatest challenges.
Maybe you can make them a low-priority by focussing initially on Zope
3 applications that don't use them, like grok.

- I'd be inclined to take a bottom-up approach.  So, rather than
trying to get the Zope 3 "application" (a.k.a. Zope-management
interface, a.k.a Rotterdam skin, a.k.a zope.app.zcmlfiles) working,
focus instead on zope.interface, zope.component, and zope.publisher.
(Notice I didn't mention ZODB. :)

Are there wsgi servers for jython?

Jim

--