[Zope3-Users] thoughts about z3c.form-package

garz garz at gmx.net
Thu Oct 16 11:07:37 EDT 2008

hi roger,

thanks again. :) sry for writing so much nonsense and dont getting my point
clearly described. didnt want to waste your time and i try to improve on
that.

Roger Ineichen wrote:
> Fields are a fundamental part of
> our concept and are the component which allows you to define
> things at python class level. (not in instance methods)
> This makes it very simple to work with. or not?
yes, fields are very nice and its really simple and fast to work with them.
i like this very much and i want to keep them. they are even a little
contribution in improving runtime-performance.

i think its important to make clear my motivation why im doing this (to keep
you replying :D): the whole thing why i want to write a new implementation
of z3c.form is trying. i want to try to make it better and i want to see if
this can be done. its just playing around a little. im not planning to
replace z3c.form. prolly my version will never be seen by anyone, prolly i
will just give up and use z3c.form. but maybe, whats very unlikely, i
present a different version, if i finish and i think its better. maybe
someone gets interested, maybe not, i dont care. :) maybe it will just be
interesting from a theoretically point of view.

now i try it again, this time making my point as clear as i can:
is there a use-case, where a field gets rendered to a different widget than
the browser-widget?

with this question i want to find out, if fields are abstracting widgets
_globally_, so to speak. the way a widget is created from a field is:
getMultiAdapter([field, request], IFieldWidget). if there is a different
request, a different widget can be adapted. i'm thinking about a
>>non-http-request<<! one that doesnt require browser-widgets, but different
ones.

or the question posed a little differently: did you have in mind to support
none-browser-widgets?
if not, than i see why widgets can be used stand-alone and why an action
already is a browser-widget.

this is very important to me because it influences the way i will
conceptualize fields and therefor implement them.

i hope i could make it clear now. its enough if you just post a yes or no,
to save your time. :D but feel free to give explanation, if you like. :)
(otherwise i will ask anyway... ;P)

i'm harassing, i know, please be kind to me. =)

best regards, gards