[Zope3-Users] Attempting to use z3c.rml properly...

Ken Corey ken at kencorey.com
Wed Apr 22 13:11:53 EDT 2009

Hi All,

I've given up on using z3c.rml (or indeed reportab's open-source
software) with Google's AppEngine as the restrictions they were too
constraining.

Now, I just want to be able to run z3c.rml on my machine at home to
verify how it works. Once it works, I'll be able to upload it to a
regular web host with less restrictions.

So, starting with a clean z3c.rml 0.8.1:

Installing onto a XP Pro SP3 machine, Python 2.5 with setuptools.  I did
a 'python setup.py install' for zope.event, zope.interface, zope.schema,
and zope.i18nmessageid first.  Everything except zope.i18nmessageid went
well.

Then, I did the same for z3c.rml.  It pulled in all the dependancies
(downloaded lxml 2.2, and checked zope.schema 3.5.5, zope.interface
3.5.2, reportlab 2.3, pyPdf 1.12).

Okay, now what?  How best to launch this?

If I cd into C:\Temp\z3c.rml\src\z3c\rml, and give this command line:
python rml2pdf.py tests\input\simple-layout.rml

I get this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "rml2pdf.py", line 24, in <module>
   from z3c.rml import document, interfaces
 File
"c:\python25\lib\site-packages\z3c.rml-0.8.1dev-py2.5.egg\z3c\rml\document.py",
line 26, in <module>
   from z3c.rml import attr, directive, interfaces, occurence
 File
"c:\python25\lib\site-packages\z3c.rml-0.8.1dev-py2.5.egg\z3c\rml\attr.py",
line 35, in <module>
   from z3c.rml import interfaces
 File
"c:\python25\lib\site-packages\z3c.rml-0.8.1dev-py2.5.egg\z3c\rml\interfaces.py",
line 138, in <module>
   class IDeprecatedDirective(zope.interface.interfaces.IInterface):
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'interfaces'

If I cd into the 'tests' directory, and try this:
python text_rml.py

I get almost the same traceback (just with 'text_rml.py' replacing
'rml2pdf.py').

Am I trying to run this correctly?  I'd put money on my doing something
ham-fisted here, but I can't see what it is.

Just for context, it'd be hard to underestimate my experience with
Python.  I've only been at this a week or so, and figuring out things as
I go, so please don't worry about hurting my feeling by going too simple!

Thanks for any help.

-Ken