[Zope3-Users] Various problems with zope.org

Sam Kuper sam.kuper at uclmail.net
Wed Sep 9 12:08:42 EDT 2009

Dear all,

I noticed a little while ago that
http://docs.zope.org/zope2/zope2book/source/BasicScripting.html#url-traversal-and-acquisition
has a broken link. The link text reads 'A collection of objects and
methods' but it links to 'img:9-1:Figures/zoo.png' and when clicked
just produces an alert box saying 'img is not a registered protocol'.
<sarcasm>Way to impress potential Zope adopters!</sarcasm> So that's
the first problem: broken image links in the zope2book.

Anyhow, I thought I'd quickly report this via the bug reporting page
for zope.org[1]. The text on that page says, 'use the actions-box "New
Issue" entry to submit new issues', but I've no idea what an
'actions-box' is, and there is nothing else on the page that says 'New
Issue'. That's the second problem: unclear instructions for reporting
zope.org bugs.

So, I had another look at the Report Bugs page[2] and this time I
noticed that towards the bottom of the page there is a notice which
says, 'Current spam activities force a change in Collector
security-policy: You need to be logged into your zope.org account to
add issues and comment on existing issues Not a zope.org member ? just
send your issue to webmaster at zope.org'. So the third problem is that
this information should be more visible, e.g. as a notice at the top
of each page under Collectors that is displayed to all users who
aren't logged in.

So, I decided to join zope.org so that I'd be able to use the bug
tracker. I clicked the 'Join' link at the top right of the page. This
took me to a page[3] which says, 'To register a new user account at
zope.org send an email to webmaster at zope.org'. So, I sent an email to
webmaster at zope.org, requesting to join zope.org. This caused me to
receive an immediate email reply saying, 'This message was created
automatically by mail delivery software. A message that you sent could
not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent
error. The following address(es) failed: michael at d2m.at mailbox is
full: retry timeout exceeded'. This, then, is the fourth and final
problem I'm reporting: it is apparently impossible to join zope.org.

I'd been looking at Zope as a possible tool for fixing a particular
little informatics problem I'm facing, but this was not exactly the
most auspicious start I could have expected.

Regards,

Sam

[1]http://www.zope.org/Collectors/ZopeOrg
[2]http://www.zope.org/Collectors/