Re[2]: [ZPT] ZPT - tal-attributes in html-output ?

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 12:05:09 -0400 (EDT)

Guido van Rossum writes:
 > I'm no XML expert, but I've been told that it is well-formed XML, but
 > won't validate because it's lacking a DTD.  Apparently use of DTDs

  If you use the DOCTYPE declaration with either (or both) an internal
or external subset, it has a DTD.  It won't validate to the HTML DTD
if you actually use any METAL/TAL attributes, the input document
won't validate because it's *not* valid HTML.  The output won't
validate unless we rip the METAL/TAL attributes from the output (and
then, only if the result is otherwise valid).

 > with XML is somewhat controversial, hence the "heavily discussed"

  No; what's controversial is what validation might mean in the
presence of namespaces; see my previous message for more information.

 > comment.  We should probably provide an option to suppress the TAL
 > attributes in the rendered page.

  We should provide that option anyway.  Some people will want to hide
the implementation details of their site as a matter of policy.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>
PythonLabs at Digital Creations