[ZPT] zpt + zsql

Brent Hendricks brentmh@ece.rice.edu
Fri, 07 Dec 2001 07:58:12 -0600

Nicola Larosa wrote:

>  > The difficult part is iteration over the result set, when it becomes
>  > large. There is not "dtml-in" with all of its features.
>
> Do you mean this stuff?
>
> http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ZPT/RepeatVariable
>

>  > More fancy stuff, like e.g. statistics, are probably done in
>
> One thing that could be useful: only recently I discovered that a Python
> Script can refer to SQL columns *by name*, since I had seen no doc about
> it, only in mailing lists archives.
>
> You can build a dictionary of data from a SQL query, like this:
>

> # this returns one row only
> rows = query.sql()
>
> if not rows:
>     return {}
>
> fRow = {}
> for field in rows[0].names():
>     fRow[field] = rows[0][field]
>
> return fRow

You don't really have to copy the items into a new dictionary, just do

return rows[0]

-- Brent

"The programmer, like the poet, works only slightly removed from pure
  thought-stuff.  He builds his castles in the air, from air, creating
  by exertion of the imagination.  Few media of creation are so
  flexible, so easy to polish and rework, so readily capable of
  realizing grand conceptual structures."
                         -- Frederick Brooks, Jr., The Mythical Man Month