[ZPT] Are PT's ZCatelog Aware? - Now: Subclassing ZPT's

Lynn Walton waltonl@franklin.edu
Wed, 04 Jul 2001 15:51:24 -0500

Evan,

Thanks for the opinions. I must admit this is discouraging to me. At least
to hear that the ZCatalog and related stuff is tricking and somewhat
broken.  One of several reasons I chose zope is because of the automatic
indexing abilities.   It seems to me that if PageTemplates are to be a
viable replacement for DTML documents, then being able to be cataloged for
indexing is a must. Otherwise your saying that any site choosing ZPT over
DTML has to give up being searchable? That's not going to be acceptable for
my site and I would guess not for many other sites either.

I'm willing to put in a fair amount of work to make this happen, but if it's
really not feasible, it makes me wonder if I should give up on ZPT and go
back to DTML. I'd hate to do that.  Don't you see it as a necessary built-in
feature of ZPT?  Did you have any plans to include it down the road?

And perhaps the Zope book is giving too rosy a picture of ZCatalog, if it
has the problems you're aluding to that make you leary of it?  Can you
expand on what/when/why you concluded that the CatalogAware mixin was
somewhat broken? Don't mean to be a pest, but now I seem at the edge of
having to make a  decision, of trying to write classes to make ZPT's
searchable, or settle for DTML instead, and I want to make an informed
decision.

Thanks,
Lynn