[ZPT] suggestion: content and/or silent repeat

Gary & Karyn Gary & Karyn" <garykaryn@earthlink.net
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 09:02:52 -0400

> > This seems surprisingly clunky for the graceful ZPT
> > system--it produces multiple tbody groupings incorrectly.
>

> Well, if you read http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/tables.html#h-11.2.3
> i'd say they are 100% correct.
>
> --
>
>   /Magnus

Thanks for your response.  You are correct, the code produced within the
letter of the "law".

I am about to get on mildly shaky ground--but it's why I brought up this
issue.

I don't believe the code I quoted produces HTML that follows the intent of
the W3C recommendations.  Since we both are looking at W3C and acknowledging
them as an authority we care about, I assume we can agree that, web history
notwithstanding, HTML is supposed to be a logical markup language that the
browser, ideally with the help of CSS, decides how to display.  According to
the W3C page you gave me, a tbody is supposed to contain a "row group".  I
fail to see how wrapping a tbody around every tr in a table has anything to
do with logical "row groups".  Not only is it problematic as a logical
markup, it would seem likely to cause a problem with the W3C's stated
display example for the tbody tag (defining a table body so that a user
agent can scroll it while keeping the thead and tfoot in place).

I stand by my statement that the ZPT repeat solution I quoted is not as
graceful as most of the rest of the ZPT system.

On another note, I am unfamiliar with mailman, and find no place at Zope or
gnu to RTFM.  I see that responses to my posts are directed to me and to the
zpt list.  Is this done manually as an etiquette or automatically by the
mailman program?

Thanks very much.

Gary