[ZPT] TALES Feature Survey

Brent M Hendricks brent@valinor.waldenweb.com
Thu, 17 May 2001 21:43:10 -0500

On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 04:22:31PM -0400, Evan Simpson wrote:
> A) Add a standard 'user' variable, so that "user/getId" is the current
> user's id.

+1

0

0

> D) Eliminate path modifiers ("if exists nocall") completely

I assume you meant "Eliminate path modifiers and replace it with the
a | b | etc" syntax.  In which case +1.  Do those python additions like
cond() and path() fall under here as well?  In which case +2 :)

> E) Eliminate 'exists:' expression type, since most of these tests can be
> spelled "path | nothing".

You said most.  Is there a case where it can't?  Otherwise +1

Can I add an F?  How about exposing tal:define'd variables to called
methods like ZSQL methods and python scripts.  I thought someone had
mentioned that once.

--Brent

PS.  Thanks for the good summary of what might be upcoming for the
next release.  What's the target date?

"The programmer, like the poet, works only slightly removed from pure
 thought-stuff.  He builds his castles in the air, from air, creating
 by exertion of the imagination.  Few media of creation are so
 flexible, so easy to polish and rework, so readily capable of
 realizing grand conceptual structures."
                        -- Frederick Brooks, Jr., The Mythical Man Month