[ZPT] TALES Feature Survey

Evan Simpson evan@digicool.com
Fri, 18 May 2001 00:35:46 -0400

From: "Brent M Hendricks" <brent@valinor.waldenweb.com>
> > D) Eliminate path modifiers ("if exists nocall") completely
>
> I assume you meant "Eliminate path modifiers and replace it with the
> a | b | etc" syntax.  In which case +1.  Do those python additions like
> cond() and path() fall under here as well?  In which case +2 :)

Actually, there is already a "test()" function, and "path()" is guaranteed,
so yes.

> > E) Eliminate 'exists:' expression type, since most of these tests can be
> > spelled "path | nothing".
>
> You said most.  Is there a case where it can't?  Otherwise +1

Guido pointed out to me that every example of tal:condition="exists:blah" I
could come up with was better off as a tal:condition="blah | nothing".  The
remaining case, if needed, can be handled with "python:exists('blah')".

> Can I add an F?  How about exposing tal:define'd variables to called
> methods like ZSQL methods and python scripts.  I thought someone had
> mentioned that once.

I've implemented it, though I'm unsure how solid it is.

> PS.  Thanks for the good summary of what might be upcoming for the
> next release.  What's the target date?

I plan to give everyone the weekend to respond to the survey, then those
features without -1s or significant ???s will go into a Monday release.

Cheers,

Evan @ digicool