[ZPT] 1.3.0 issues with trailing '/'

Evan Simpson evan@digicool.com
Wed, 23 May 2001 10:43:58 -0400

From: "Guido van Rossum" <guido@digicool.com>
> Can we review this rejection?  I don't recall an argument for
> rejecting the feature, just lack of interest.  But the example above
> shows a perfect use case for it, doesn't it?

There was one +1, four 0, and four -1 (and one ???) on this, with comments
on the -1's along the lines of "it would be too easy to overlook the slash".
I noticed in Steve's original example that he put trailing slashes on *all*
of his paths, and I suspect that he didn't intend to "nocall" all of them.
Using "nocall" when you don't mean it can be hard to debug, and Zope has a
long (but possibly bogus) tradition of ignoring trailing slashes in URLs.

I agree that it's painful to have to deal with attr vs. item access in order
to perform a nocall lookup, but I think that we need to invent a much more
noticeable spelling.

Cheers,

Evan @ digicool