[ZPT] Do people use local versions of tal, metal dtd's?

Lynn Walton waltonl@franklin.edu
Thu, 31 May 2001 13:34:46 -0500

OK, another newbie question.

Do people who are using ZPT (or really in general any externally
referenence dtd file) usually really reference the dtd on the external
site as in
      xmlns:metal="http://xml.zope.org/namespaces/metal"
      metal:define-macro="master">
or do they obtain the dtd and store it locally?   I mean I guess storing
it locally might not be as good if it's changing, but doesn't not
storing it locally make your entire zope site dependent on whether
xml.zope.org is running properly?     I don't like being dependent on
other sites. Yesterday I experienced the www.zope.org server being down
for more than an hour, and experienced some down time the day before.
My tracerouting and asking other colleages in different areas of the
country to check lead me to conclude it really was the zope site down,
not some hop along the way.

A while back we were using BitStream's font technology and we had to put
a link to their site to something.  They went down and it left those
pages which referenced their site unrenderable.

Just wondering if other's share my concern and if so is it common place
for organizations to store their own local versions?  Or am I supposed
to "trust" that xml.zope.org will have the same uptime reliablility that
my own servers do????

Thanks,
Lynn