[ZPT] Javascript in the ZMI

Florent Guillaume fg@nuxeo.com
4 Oct 2001 13:20:56 GMT

> > > That's possible with some javascript, but personally I wouldn't want
> that behavoir
>
> Mmm, yes, I wasn't thinking correctly here. Javascript should be avoided in
> the management interface.

Several people here, and I would like to join them, have expressed the
opinion that it would be very convenient to have Javascript to speed up
functionnality in the ZMI. It shouldn't of course prevent people from
using the ZMI without Javascript.

But count the number of clicks and client-server round trips needed for
a simple operation like "create a copy of this file with a new name
'bar'":
 - click checkbox in front of "foo"
 - click "copy"
 - wait new page
 - scroll to bottom and click "paste"
 - wait new page
 - click checkbox in front of "copy_of_foo"
 - scroll to bottom and click "rename"
 - wait new page
 - type "bar", enter
 - wait new page

It's just an example of course. But Javascript would help a lot here, as
it would in other situations. It's the kind of things it was *designed*
for.

Florent Guillaume
Nuxeo

(sorry, this doesn't really belong in the zpt list)
--
Florent Guillaume, Nuxeo SARL (Paris, France)