[ZPT] Javascript in the ZMI

Tom Deprez Tom Deprez" <tom.deprez@uz.kuleuven.ac.be
Thu, 4 Oct 2001 15:43:50 +0200

Dit is een meerdelig bericht in MIME-indeling.

------=_NextPart_000_01B2_01C14CEB.5CFA5620

I'm certainly not against it, if javascript and non-javascript users can =
make use of ZMI. But it should certainly work for both and of course =
correct. However I think it is a huge work to make ZMI javascript =
enabled, not?

A pythonisch replacement of javascript would even be better (but that is =
just flavor, since it would give more webbrowser incompatibilities)

Tom.

But, this is of course not a topic for this list.

"Florent Guillaume" <fg@nuxeo.com> schreef in bericht =
> > that behavoir
> >=20
> > Mmm, yes, I wasn't thinking correctly here. Javascript should be =
avoided in
> > the management interface.
>=20
> Several people here, and I would like to join them, have expressed the
> opinion that it would be very convenient to have Javascript to speed =
up
> functionnality in the ZMI. It shouldn't of course prevent people from
> using the ZMI without Javascript.
>=20
> But count the number of clicks and client-server round trips needed =
for
> a simple operation like "create a copy of this file with a new name
> 'bar'":
>  - click checkbox in front of "foo"
>  - click "copy"
>  - wait new page
>  - scroll to bottom and click "paste"
>  - wait new page
>  - click checkbox in front of "copy_of_foo"
>  - scroll to bottom and click "rename"
>  - wait new page
>  - type "bar", enter
>  - wait new page
>=20
> It's just an example of course. But Javascript would help a lot here, =
as
> it would in other situations. It's the kind of things it was =
*designed*
> for.
>=20
>=20
> Florent Guillaume
> Nuxeo
>=20
> (sorry, this doesn't really belong in the zpt list)
> --=20
> Florent Guillaume, Nuxeo SARL (Paris, France)
> +33 1 40 33 79 87  http://nuxeo.com  mailto:fg@nuxeo.com
>=20

------=_NextPart_000_01B2_01C14CEB.5CFA5620

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>
<DIV>I'm certainly not against it,&nbsp;if javascript and non-javascript =
users=20
can make use of ZMI. But it should certainly work for both and of course =

correct. However I think it is a huge work to make ZMI javascript =
enabled,=20
not?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>A pythonisch replacement of javascript would even be better (but =
that is=20
just flavor, since it would give more webbrowser =
incompatibilities)</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Tom.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>But, this is of course not a topic for this list.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>"Florent Guillaume" &lt;<A =
href=3D"mailto:fg@nuxeo.com">fg@nuxeo.com</A>&gt;=20
schreef in bericht <A=20
href=3D"news:9phnno$d7j$2@dev.in.nuxeo.com">news:9phnno$d7j$2@dev.in.nuxe=
o.com</A>...</DIV>&gt;=20
&gt; &gt; &gt; That's possible with some javascript, but personally I =
wouldn't=20
want<BR>&gt; &gt; that behavoir<BR>&gt; &gt; <BR>&gt; &gt; Mmm, yes, I =
wasn't=20
thinking correctly here. Javascript should be avoided in<BR>&gt; &gt; =
the=20
management interface.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Several people here, and I would =
like to=20
join them, have expressed the<BR>&gt; opinion that it would be very =
convenient=20
to have Javascript to speed up<BR>&gt; functionnality in the ZMI. It =
shouldn't=20
of course prevent people from<BR>&gt; using the ZMI without =
Javascript.<BR>&gt;=20
<BR>&gt; But count the number of clicks and client-server round trips =
needed=20
for<BR>&gt; a simple operation like "create a copy of this file with a =
new=20
name<BR>&gt; 'bar'":<BR>&gt; &nbsp;- click checkbox in front of =
"foo"<BR>&gt;=20
&nbsp;- click "copy"<BR>&gt; &nbsp;- wait new page<BR>&gt; &nbsp;- =
scroll to=20
bottom and click "paste"<BR>&gt; &nbsp;- wait new page<BR>&gt; &nbsp;- =
click=20
checkbox in front of "copy_of_foo"<BR>&gt; &nbsp;- scroll to bottom and =
click=20
"rename"<BR>&gt; &nbsp;- wait new page<BR>&gt; &nbsp;- type "bar", =
enter<BR>&gt;=20
&nbsp;- wait new page<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; It's just an example of course. =
But=20
Javascript would help a lot here, as<BR>&gt; it would in other =
situations. It's=20
the kind of things it was *designed*<BR>&gt; for.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; =
<BR>&gt;=20
Florent Guillaume<BR>&gt; Nuxeo<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; (sorry, this doesn't =
really=20
belong in the zpt list)<BR>&gt; -- <BR>&gt; Florent Guillaume, Nuxeo =
SARL=20
(Paris, France)<BR>&gt; +33 1 40 33 79 87&nbsp; <A=20
href=3D"http://nuxeo.com">http://nuxeo.com</A>&nbsp; <A=20
href=3D"mailto:fg@nuxeo.com">mailto:fg@nuxeo.com</A><BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;=20