[ZPT] WebDAV PT idea

Evan Simpson evan@zope.com
Tue, 09 Oct 2001 16:25:09 -0400

Chris Withers wrote:

>>On the other hand, it *might* be possible to make the Page Template
>>gracefully handle the whole "make temp file;rename;rename;delete"
>>process that unwary emacs and WebDrive editing does.
>
> I remember discussing this with someone on some mailing list before. Ideas were
> expressed but never acted upon, any way we can make this one happen and get
> solved?

The only idea I've had since then that is even remotely workable is a scheme
where you treat the template text as a sub-object of the template, as in the
whole "template/source.html" business.  That way, the template itself can
interpret "make temp file;rename;rename;delete" as "make new candidate text,
  relabel revisions, remove unused revision".  Unfortunately, there are a
number of awkward details to this kind of scheme, such as relative path
interpretation (src="dot.png" becomes ".../template/dot.png"), how to deal
with stale revisions, and discoverability (how do you know to edit source.html?)

Cheers,

Evan @ Zope