[ZPT] [Weakness] "tal:repeat" not yet right

Richard Jones richard@bizarsoftware.com.au
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 09:45:01 +1000

On Thursday 27 September 2001 07:40, Evan Simpson wrote:
> Dieter Maurer wrote:
>  > 1. The "tal:repeat" has two different relevant contexts:
>
> [snip]
>
>  > Currently, we have "tal:define" for the complete loop and
>  > "tal:condition" for each iteration.
>
> Yes, in retrospect we should probably have made "tal:repeat" the first
> statement to be executed, so that all other statements on the same tag
> are in the iteration context.  Then it's clear that you need to use an
> enclosing tag for loop-level setup.

Even though the situation isn't perfect, we're getting along with using it
fine. The contexts of the "define" and "condition" commands may be different,
but we feel they've fallen on the right "side" of the loop/element context
for everyday use. My gut says that if the context split was "fixed" then we'd
have more "context-fixing" tags introduced.

> I'm very reluctant to change the order of operations this late in the
> game, though, and having two sorts of 'define' and 'condition' statement
> seems very awkward to me.

Yes, that would break things, badly.

    Richard