[ZPT] Re: [Zope-CMF] Disable default Mcros Expand in ZPT...

Tres Seaver tseaver@zope.com
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 10:54:18 -0500

ycheng wrote:

> As trying CMF 1.2 with zope 2.5b4, I found that the default setting
> of ZPT about macro expand make the zpt page much harder for programmer
> to modify, and it's seem to hard to unexpand the macro.
>
> So, will it be better not to expand the macros in the default behavior..

I agree that this is an annoying issue for those of us who

deal with the ZPT as source;  unfortunately, ZPT is designed
for people who use it as WYSIAYG, too, and macro expansion is
essential for them.

We might be able to set this up as a preference on the
skins tool, which the FSPageTemplates would check when they
create the customized copy.  This tweak would solve the problem
of the *initial* expansion, but would still not help when
*both* the programmer *and* the designer need to work with the
same customized template.  Perhaps page templates need an
"unexpand" method?  (Hmm, that would depend a lot on the
macro used to expand the template;  I don't know if a good
general solution exists).

I am CC'ing the ZPT list in case somebody there has more zen
about the idea of unexpanding.

Tres.