[ZPT] Are PageTemplateFiles restricted code?

Evan Simpson evan@zope.com
Fri, 01 Mar 2002 09:43:53 -0500

Michael R. Bernstein wrote:
> BTW, at what point (and in what forum) was this design decision made?

No formal decision was made; I made them quickly, in the easiest way I
could, and rationalized the result later.

> I can see the advantages of this decision the more I think about it, but
> the inconsistency with DTMLFile still bothers me, as it erects another
> barrier to migration of developers from DTML to TAL (at least for
> products). In return, we get greater convenience for skinning, but I'm
> not sure the tradeoff was worth it.

It would certainly be possible to have a constructor argument (or
separate class) to relax the restrictions, but it's not trivial to do.

Cheers,

Evan @ Zope