[ZPT] Web Design with ZPT

Christian Theune ct@gocept.com
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 09:25:44 +0100

On Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 05:00:37PM -0600, Joseph Griffin wrote:
> Thanks again for the response Joel,
> My background has been mostly with Microsoft. When I ran across Zope, I was
> truly impressed with the idea of an object oriented website. Since it's
> free, it's gets double bonus points from me. What I have learned in software
> development is that the pros (that is, those persons whose sole interest is
> making money) go 10 miles out of their way to streamline their efforts into
> a boring repeatable pattern than lowers overall risk. Zope, in my opinon, is
> ripe for a deployment tool in the form of a database/python/ZPT script
> generator. This assumes that the Zope/ZServer/ZODB etc... has stable
> interfaces. After all, Zope is database friendly, so once a datamodel is
> defined, you could build the initial Zope website from the data model along
> (something like Znolk, but on a much larger scale). Database scripts would
> build the tables, python scripts could do the framework installation and ZPT
> would present the data. The whole install could be automated to the point of
> establishing a complete web layout is less than a week. This type of code
> generation has been done by Promatix for Visual FoxPro (www.promatrix.com),
> Microsoft Access,SQL Server,Oracle,Sybase, and DB2 using VBExpress
> (www.vbexpress.com).

One part of that is already available (not directly related to zope):

Generating SQL from visualized Diagrams for the open source database
postgresql: tcm2sql. TCM is a toolkit for conceptual modelling, and
tcm2sql allows you to build the sql scripts for that ... is that what you
are searching? then take a look at www.gocept.com/opensource

Greetings

Christian

--
Christian Theune - ct@gocept.com
gocept gmbh & co.kg - schalaunische strasse 6 - 06366 koethen/anhalt

reduce(lambda x,y:x+y,[chr(ord(x)^42) for x in 'zS^BED\nX_FOY\x0b'])