[ZPT] (no subject)

Evan Simpson evan@zope.com
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 12:22:35 -0500

Casey Duncan wrote:
> I think we need to explore a bit more why expansion
> was turned on by default in the first place. Evan?

In the beginning, there was the idea of sharing presentation elements.
We also wanted the virtues of editing-in-context.  For a while, we tried
to design a system in which you could edit a page that contained shared
elements and have your edits to the elements applied to their source.
There were too many questions about how this should work (what if you
don't have permission to edit the shared source?  What if you didn't
mean to edit the shared element?), so we went with the much simpler idea
that you can see the elements when editing your page, but only edit them
by editing the page that defines them.

We hoped that we could work with editing tools such as Dreamweaver to
highlight shared elements, and perhaps make them read-only.  Our focus
was very much on WYSIWYG tools, and we considered page designers to be
the primary audience, so we didn't consider how annoying macro expansion
is when you're editing the source as text.

Since their release, we've gotten a lot of feedback on ZPTs from
programmers, and very little from designers or programmer/designer
teams.  It's pretty clear now that there needs to be finer control over
macro expansion, and not just on a site-wide or page-by-page basis,
either.  Unless we're going to give up on the idea of macro expansion
altogether (which I don't want to do), there needs to be a facility for
turning it on or off on a per-user, per-access-method basis, as well as
setting defaults, as in:

   By default, expand only on WebDAV access, not FTP or ZMI.
   For user evan, don't expand on any access.
   For user penney, expand all but ZMI access.

This isn't trivial, unfortunately.

Cheers,

Evan @ Zope