[ZPT] Why does this cause a page template to be invalid?(longish)

Geir Bækholt Geir Bækholt
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 15:04:09 +0100

Hello seb,

Tuesday, March 26, 2002, 14:49:00, you wrote:
sb> Yes, but the ZPT parser is still broken, however you look at it:

Just for the record : *both* are incorrect and should be rejected
http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-html40-19980424/struct/text.html#h-9.3.1

sb> I'm not familiar with the parser code but this leads me to wonder if the
sb> first example is intentionally rejected or not.  I take it you're saying
sb> it is intentional, and that the second example is the bug.

sb> This thread's been enlightening w.r.t. HTML4.01, though.  It just goes
sb> to show how irrelevant the standards are when it comes to practical web
sb> programming - and this coming from someone who's interested in them.

The standards are in fact very relevant, now that browsers actually
are staring to support them. - The next step is for developers (and
editor tools) to start using them correctly. There is tremendous
amounts of time and money to be saved by adhering to them, especially
in time spent for debugging and testing. - there is also the often
overlooked issue of forward-compatibility.
I praise the ZPT parser for rooting out errors like it does , and have
often found myself wishing for an even stricter parser , - but i
*know* i am in a minority on that one..

--
Geir Bækholt                       web-developer
geirh@funcom.com             funcom oslo | webdev-team