[ZPT] Re: TAL and METAL in <script> and <style>

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 12:14:03 +0100

Martijn Pieters wrote:

> The template would be broken. Imagine a browser trying to interpret that
> style tag (before template rendering). Or a piece of javascript like that.
>
> The goal is round-trip-ability for templates; designers can pick up the
> template again, tweak it in their WYSIWYG editors, and the whole thing would
> continue to work, or at least as much as possible.

Well, taking this use case, the current behaviour is confusing.

I'm a designer, I get this template I know I'm allowed to tweak but I have no
idea what this tal: stuff is. I do however, know a bit of javascript.
So, I happily tweak the <script> stuff ignoring the funny tal: bit until it does
what I want. I hand over the template to the scripter who does his thing and
hands off to the customer. I'm then confused as to why the customer is unhappy
until I find out that none of my javascript is working. I wonder what to do next.

So, if this use case is broken anyway, could we at least make it useful to the
coders and scripters of this world and allow tal: inside <script> and <style>
tags? ;-)

cheers,

Chris