[ZPT] Re: [Plone-developers] Speed

Florent Guillaume fg@nuxeo.com
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 19:14:41 +0200

[Redirecting this to the zpt list]

Andy wrote:
> I've never liked the file system directory views, the whole concept is
> just wrong to me. So i fixed up zfs and changed all file system
> directory views to zfs folders. I put zope in production mode and had
> a look. Zope increased from 2.5 to 3.05, an ok speed up. Now since all
> the objects are normal zope objects I was able to just go and turn on
> caching for a few things (calendar, about, search, footer etc). Zope
> sped up to 4.0 requests per second. This still compares to 8+ requests
> per second from DTML, but as I say the two sites arent identical, so
> take this with a pinch of salt.

Nice, but I don't understand why there could be such a speedup. Once the
pages are cooked, be it from a FSDV or ZFS, the internal data structure
containing the parsed ZPT is the same, and the rendering from it should
be the same.

The only thing I see that could change is the speed of traversal _to_
the ZPT, but I don't understand why there would be such a large
difference.

> Default plone: 2.5
> ZFS: 3.05 (21% improvement)
> ZFS with some caching: 4.0 (60%)
> Full ram caching: 18 (alot, but not very practical)

Interesting. Thanks for sharing this.

Florent