[ZPT] Deafening chirping of crickets

Fernando Martins fmartins at hetnet.nl
Tue Apr 22 21:35:52 EDT 2003

Chris Withers wrote:
> Fernando Martins wrote:
> > Chris Withers wrote:
> >
> >>I've never encountered this as a pointof irritation.
> >>
> >>The order of execution of statements, yes, building if-then-else
> >>using a couple
> >>of tal:conditions, no...
> >>

> > Was it ever considered to use line numbers (a la BASIC) to
> change the order
> > of execution (optional, just for an occasional HTML element)?
>
> How would this look?

Hmm, I didn't give much thought to it because I was expecting this
possibility to have been discussed. Something like

<tal:condition="10 python: a > 0"
    tal:define="20 c python: b / a">

> > Still, this wouldn't solve the convenience of having a define, then a
> > condition, then a define (depending on the truth of the condition).
>
> I can coem up with one that has the first two bits, but what
> would one with all
> three look like?

I don't have a real example right now but it looks like:

<tal:define="a here/getSomeValue"
 tal:condition="python: a > 0"
 tal:define="c python: b / a">

You probably want a more convincing case, because the first two could be
merged. But assume "a" is needed afterwards and getSomeValue is an expensive
operation you don't want to recalculate.

Fernando