[ZPT] Re: TAL's lack of an else...

Fergal Daly fdaly at sift.co.uk
Wed Aug 6 18:06:29 EDT 2003

On Wednesday 06 August 2003 08:17, Daniël Hooymans wrote:
> In the discussion, some refer to use TAL/METAL in a programming way.
> Containing repeat/case/if constucts. But this isn't correct in my opinion.
> Purpose of TAL was to make it possible to seperate programming and design.
> Some tend to forget.

Sometimes design is easier if it can include some simple programming. This is
the purpose of TAL but unlike other template languages TAL has very strict
limits on the programming you can do in your template, this is good. TAL
doesn't stop you doing if/else, it just makes you do lots of extra typing in
order to do it and extra typing means extra work and extra errors, I just
want to eliminate this.

If you are going to argue against having repeat and if in TAL then you're in
for plenty of fun on this list :-)