[ZPT] Parent property?

Philip Kilner phil at xfr.co.uk
Mon Aug 18 21:21:16 EDT 2003

Hi Charlie,

Charlie Clark wrote:
> On 2003-08-18 at 20:55:49 [+0200], Philip Kilner wrote:
>
>>I guess the "subtext" of this is keeping application and presentation
>>logic separate, but given what we are trying to do, that seems
>>paradoxical - the application drives the presentation...and vice
>>versa...in this case...
>>
>>This was all so easy in DTML...<sigh>
>

> Actually, it doesn't seem to me to have anything to do with DTML vs. ZPT
> but rather mixing data storage between ZODB and your RDBMS, which can be a
> problem; see my own recent posts about this. It would seem to me to be
> quite easy to replace this hierarchical structure with a relational mapping
> and thus keep everything in the RDBMS and generate the content from that.

Tricky - yes, you are right that the ZODB vs. RDBMS split is the root of
it.

What I'm trying to do is let the RDBMS manage structured, relational
data (I am an RDBMS developer "by day"), and let my content managing
colleague work with the content in Plone. Mapping the two together has
been a nightmare for me - it was *extremely* easy with DTML, and
(although I understand why it is the way to go in the longer term), it
is only Plone's broken DTML support which is making me use ZPT now, as
opposed to six months down the line.

I'm trying to mesh multiple pairs of concepts/entities (DTML vs. ZPT,
ZODB vs. RDBMS, content vs. data - and the rest), and I'm finding it
*very* heavy going and getting my concepts and entities in a twist in
the process. I can honestly say that when ZPT came into it, this project
simply stopped being any fun.

--

Regards,

PhilK

Email: phil at xfr.co.uk / Voicemail & Facsimile: 07092 070518

"the symbols of the divine show up in our world initially at the trash
stratum." Philip K Dick