[ZPT] CCS and Mozilla vs MSIE

Tom P. Allred tom at allreddata.com
Sat Aug 30 17:21:11 EDT 2003

Hi,

Using Zope 2.6.1 on RH8 with Mozilla 1.0.1 I created the framework (menus,
data forms, sample reports) for a small app that uses ZPT's, macros and CSS
for layout.  Header, body and footer have their own slots.  For many pages
only the central body changes.  The default body is navigation (show
subfolders as links) so no menu subfolder contains a index_html file; they
just use the top level one.  The wrapping (static menu down left side,
standard footer floating just below the changing body, static heading with
titles reflecting the current location) for the body stays the same as you
drill down the menus even into the data entry forms.

All of this works just fine on the RH8 box but it will be deployed into a
network with all Windows (various) clients using Internet Explorer.  When I
use IE6 as the client my left-menu and heading wrappers are fine but the
footer varies even though the top level index_html file is being used for
all.  Here is an example of nested menus under IE6 in full-screen.

Level   Footer
  1     not shown, folder contains the index_html ZPT
  2     correct location, uses Level 1 index_html
  3     not shown, uses Level 1 index_html
  4     not shown, uses Level 1 index_html
  5     shows to right of body, partially chopped off but no IE scroll bar

The Level 5 subfolder is the only one with an index_html file.  It replaces
the body slot with a Formulator form.  Only the body slot change is included
in that index_html so the header and footer comes from Level 1.

I'm assuming this isn't fresh news to anyone that works with multiple
browsers.  Is there some general advice that applies to this topic or do I
need to post specific code?

Thanks,
Tom P. Allred
Tom at AllredData.com