[ZPT] Confused about Zope

Fernando Martins fmartins@hetnet.nl
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 22:43:12 +0100

Tofeeq Ali wrote:
>        I am new to zope and still trying to understand. Here I
> just want to
> know that in the presence of zpt for presentation and phthon for business
> logic is there any need for dtml. I am going to start learning
> zope but want
> an advice could i skip the dtml and just use zpt and python.

As someone who recently went through the zpt rule I can tell you I don't
regret it. I'm using it (part time) for simple dynamic pages based on a
Gadfly database. The most relevant knowledge needed (after zpt itself) is
clearly python.

However, you'll regularly encounter dtml when you're googling for some
solution. It's quite frustrating when you are learning zpt, python, APIs and
you realise that you still need DTML if you want to customise almost any
product you find out there.

To use ZSQL you can already do a lot just by knowing that <dtml-sqlvar
ARGUMENT type=a_type_name> is used to use arguments in a SQL statement.

So, depending on your needs, you might very well do without dtml.

Good luck,

Fernando