[ZPT] Proposal: Change order, redocument and provide "finder" script

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 11:34:22 +0000

Jeffrey P Shell wrote:
> If you can re-arrange the rules, then what good are the rules?  I stand
> by the fact that whenever I've been mildly surprised by an
> order-of-operations issue, I could look up the rule (relatively) easily
> in Zope-help or online.  The rules are simple and concise and are what
> makes working with TAL such a joy compared to the alternative.

Exactly. I think letting people specify the order of operation is a big bad no-no.

However, I think the current order is wrong, and it seems most people agree
having had a logn time to experience it now.

My propsoal would be to change the order in the next major Zope/ZPT version,
advertise and document the fact, and provide a helper script or two that would
analyse lumps of TAL code and/or whole ZODBs for occurences of statements that
would be affected by the change and report them.

What do people think?

cheers,

Chris