[ZPT] METAL recursion broken by design or accident?

Shawn Murphy smurp at smurp.com
Wed May 28 07:22:17 EDT 2003

Can anybody tell me whether METAL recursion is broken by design -- that
is -- was deemed not to be a requirement or deemed to be a problem for
some reason, and hence not supported.  The separation of TAL and METAL
namespaces seems to be at the architectural heart of METAL not being
able to support recursion.

Any ideas on a remedy at the level of the spec?  Could we, should we
make recursion work by just collapsing TAL and METAL into the same
namespace?

This might not be such a priority for regular users of ZPT within Zope,
but it is rather an issue for me.  I'm using ZPTs (the Zope
implementation) within Nooron -- a semantic web application server:
  http://www.nooron.org
Within Nooron, mobile Page Templates are used to publish knowledge, at
this point into DocBook, GraphViz and HTML, but more are coming.  I'm
working on generalizing the 'Nooron Architecture' so that 'Garments'
(class-specific PageTemplates with lisp in the attributes instead of
python) would be able to move between 'Nooron instances' where those
instances might be implemented in Java, C or Lisp in addition to
Python.  Those languages in particular because the OKBC (Open Knowledge
Base Connectivity) API is available in all of them.

Anyway, any advice on how to modify (forking would be OK) the Page
Template spec to support recursion would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time.