[ZPT] Re: macros and contexts

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Mon Sep 22 12:58:25 EDT 2003

Chris Withers wrote at 2003-9-22 10:36 +0100:
 > Dieter Maurer wrote:
 > > Chris Withers wrote at 2003-9-17 12:06 +0100:
 > >  > Dieter Maurer wrote:
 > >  > >  > What leads you to feel differently?
 > >  > >
 > >  > > The assumption is, that "widgetlib" can be acquired from "here".
 > >  > > Such an assumption should not be necessary (inside the widget library).
 > >  >
 > >  > Good point, he should perhaps use container or template to acquire widgetlib
 > >  > from there.
 > >  >
 > >  > Either than, or make widgetlib globally acquirable...
 > >
 > > These are work arounds necessary at the moment.
 > >
 > > It would be nice when they would not be necessary for some
 > > future PageTemplate version.
 >
 > I think implicit acquisition is central to Zope 2, so I don't see them as
 > workarounds.

The workaround is *NOT* that we use (implicit) acquisition.

The workaround is that the "widgetlib" must know how *IT* can be
accessed from "here/container" (or any other base depending not
on "widgetlib" but the template which happens to be rendered).

A widget library should be able to reference other members in the
library *WITHOUT* recurrence to the user of the widget library.

Think about it!

   How funny would it be when the "fprintf" in
   the standard C library had to reference "write" (as well in
   the standard C library) via the program which happens to use
   "fprintf"...

   Fortunately, "C" has no "acquisition".
   Therefore, there is a more direct solution :-)

Dieter