[ZPT] Making ZPT usuable outside Zope

Stuart Bishop stuart at stuartbishop.net
Thu Aug 26 03:54:58 EDT 2004

On 21/08/2004, at 7:54 AM, Chris Withers wrote:

> As most of you probably know, Richard uses ZPT for Roundup outside
> Zope.
> He had to make some changes to make this possible.
> I think that's a shame, since I know one of the design goals for ZPT
> was to make them usuable outside Zope.
>
> I'm proposing to merge as many of Richard's changes as possible, so I
> guess it's time to strike up a discussion on the ZPT list.

Before hacking away on the Z2 page template implementation, you
should have a look at the Z3 page template implementation -- the
stuff in zope/pagetemplate might already meet your goals since the
Z3 appserver specific stuff is all supposed to live in
zope/app/pagetemplate (and the docs and test suites appear to agree).
It is also an easier place to fix problems you discover, since you
don't have to worry about backwards compatibility so much.

> Finally, what changes have been made for Zope 3?
>
> My goal here is a ZPT implementation that works in Zope 2, Zope 3 and
> outside of Zope. I think that would benefit everyone :-)

The Z3 page template implemetation just depends on
zope.tal, zope.tales and zope.interface - it should be a nicely
packaged/packagable implementation that works for Z3 and outside
of Zope. I don't know if it is worth backporting this to Z2.
--
Stuart Bishop <stuart at stuartbishop.net>
http://www.stuartbishop.net/