[ZPT] "structure" and TAL interpretation

Jean-Philippe Rey jprey at ads.ecp.fr
Sat Jul 24 05:04:47 EDT 2004

Jean-Michel Hiver wrote :

> Evan Simpson wrote :
>> I'd be strongly in favor of dropping this behavior, or at the very
>> least giving it a new keyword ('tal' or 'code', perhaps).
>

> Actually this sounds like a good idea. It'd give people who rely on the
> functionality a way out.

I totally agree to drop this behavior and stick to the documented behavior.

I don't think however that adding a new keyword for this purpose is a good
idea. Quoting and evaluating are two different things that shouldn't be
mixed, for example you may want to evaluate and still quote your expression
result, or you may need to evaluate twice your result.

If someone feels that the evaluation functionnality is needed, I suggest to
give acces to it in python expressions, for example:

and you can choose to quote or not the result using the structure keyword.

--
Jean-Philippe Rey     Professeur informatique - École Centrale Paris
jprey at ads.ecp.fr      92295 Châtenay-Malabry Cedex - France