[ZPT] Suggestion about commenting for future TAL versions

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Tue Dec 13 18:14:52 EST 2005

Fred Drake wrote:
>>Difference between a comment which appears in the final HTML and a comment which
>>is dropped out when applying the template is the number of dashes <!-- and <!---
>

> This is *really* subtle; too much so.  Does anyone actually want to
> generate comments that are delivered to the browser anyway?  Maybe the
> compilation stage should simply throw out comments by default.

Yes, I like to do that, because it allows me to put content through that
a designer can backtrack via view source to some particular server
resource, especially in a heterogeneous environment where the resource
could live in a wide variety of places.  I think <!--- is a Cold Fusion
convention...?  Anyway, I don't think it's so bad, since either way they
*are* just comments, and it's generally not that bad if you mix them up.