[Zope-Coders] First step for i18n support

Andreas Jung andreas@andreas-jung.com
Thu, 4 Oct 2001 18:26:03 -0400

Internationalization and localization of Zope has lots of aspects.
I agree that the hard-coded strings inside the Zope sources are a good
point to start. However there are some more hotspots. Maybe the most
important
problem is adding unicode support for the ZCatalog. The current splitter
only allows to index StringType objects but no unicode strings. I have a
Splitter
in the making that should solve the problem.

Characterset and language negotiaton is also an open point. I have written
a fishbowl proposal some months ago covering this problem.

The most challenging problem IMO is to find an uniform mechanism to localize
Zope itself and third-party products. Maybe a gettext based solution will do
the job.

Andreas