[Zope-Coders] First step for i18n support

Martijn Pieters mj@zope.com
Thu, 4 Oct 2001 18:47:06 -0400

On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 06:26:03PM -0400, Andreas Jung wrote:
> Internationalization and localization of Zope has lots of aspects.
> I agree that the hard-coded strings inside the Zope sources are a good
> point to start. However there are some more hotspots. Maybe the most
> important
> problem is adding unicode support for the ZCatalog. The current splitter
> only allows to index StringType objects but no unicode strings. I have a
> Splitter
> in the making that should solve the problem.
>
> Characterset and language negotiaton is also an open point. I have written
> a fishbowl proposal some months ago covering this problem.
>
> The most challenging problem IMO is to find an uniform mechanism to localize
> Zope itself and third-party products. Maybe a gettext based solution will do
> the job.

Note that I already have done a lot of work towards solving that particalr
problem; complete with code checked into a branch.

See:

  http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/SkinnableAndLocalizableObjects/FrontPage

and in CVS the mj-skinnable_and_localizable_objects-branch branch.

--
Martijn Pieters