[Zope-Coders] unicode question

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Fri, 05 Oct 2001 10:39:51 -0400

> > (I'm still thinking about whether to provide a common base for str and
> > unicode; the more I see this kind of examples, the more I think there
> > should be one.  But what to call it?  abstractstring?  String?  string?)
>
> Stringish, StringLike? More of an interface-style use of the base than
> implementation inheritance there in the naming, which I'm not sure
> you'd want. The analogy would be with sequence and number, but they don't
> have a type in types.py either, so I don't know.

I like 'stringlike'.  (This would be a built-in type on a par with
'str' and 'unicode', so the name should be all lowercase.)

Ideally it should be 'string', 'sequence', 'mapping' and 'number', but
as I just explained in python-dev the 'string' name is already taken. :-(

Hm, maybe 'String', 'Sequence', 'Mapping' and 'Number': the convention
could be that abstract classes are Capitalized.