[Zope-Coders] unicode question

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 10:53:05 -0400

Guido van Rossum writes:
 > I like 'stringlike'.  (This would be a built-in type on a par with
 > 'str' and 'unicode', so the name should be all lowercase.)

  Weird...

 > Ideally it should be 'string', 'sequence', 'mapping' and 'number', but
 > as I just explained in python-dev the 'string' name is already taken. :-(

  This really is a new convention, and I thought it was only developed
since you were replacing the functions str(), int(), etc., with
new-style classes.
  The other built-in types are the exceptions and warnings, and those
all have the more conventional camelCased names.

 > Hm, maybe 'String', 'Sequence', 'Mapping' and 'Number': the convention
 > could be that abstract classes are Capitalized.

  This would reflect their use more as data values rather than as real
classes.  But as I mentioned above, the "convention" that built-in
types have lower-case names is new and somewhat weak.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>
PythonLabs at Zope Corporation